Safe and adequate housing is a human right.
Homelessness and food insecurity are crises in our province.
Knowing that so many of our neighbours are unhoused or underhoused and unable to afford their basic needs is something that concerns the Foundation, REALTORS®, and Ontario real estate boards and associations alike.
That's where we come in: To enable and empower REALTORS® across Ontario to fundraise in support of shelter-related causes in the communities in which they live and work. REALTORS® and real estate boards and associations recognize that they are in a unique position to help create healthier and more vibrant communities.
As the Foundation that brings real estate professionals together to make a lasting difference in their community, we are inspired by your collective generosity.
- Despite recent increases to social assistance program rates, in real terms, those rates have never been lower.
- In Ontario, 45% of tenant households spend 30% or more of their total income on shelter. This is the highest rate in Canada.
- By 2025, about 160,000 Ontario households will spend greater than 50% of their income on rent.
- Food bank use in Ontario has increased 42% over the past three years alone.
- One-third of these visitors were using food banks for the first time.
- There is not enough deeply affordable community housing. Canada – including Ontario – lags significantly behind other Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries when it comes to our social housing supply.
- 200,000 Ontarians are waiting years for access to social housing. At least 99,000 new units would be required to meet this need.
How the Foundation Addresses the Needs of Ontario Communities
From the money it fundraises, the Foundation provides grants to registered charities that improve the quality of Ontarians’ lives by providing a refuge, haven, or other type of protection from the effects of hunger, the elements, abuse, disabilities, and illness. Here are recent examples of our support:
|Past 40 Years